Mittwoch, 12. Januar 2011

Some herbs - of sowing and reaping

As I live in a comfortable sized apartment on the first floor I don't have access to any garden. I do have a balcony but I discovered that birds just love to attack new plants and they even start digging plants out of their containers.

My solution is quite simple - I grow herbs on the window sill. I tried growing herbs beforehand but somehow they never got past the stage of germination.

In 2011 I will try, once again, to grow my own hers. And I started with it two days ago. From the UK, where I spent Christmas, I brought back some seeds for peppers, chilis and herbs, but also some growing kits. I'd love to think that my previous attempts of flat gardening failed due to the lack of proper equipment.

I started with, what I think is easy to grow - chives, chilis and basil on Monday, Jan 10th.



In the two pots in the rear row I sow chives. In the middle one and the front row I planted hot chilis. I hope they turn out nicely, as Mr. Zefixchen is a hot chili addict.





I also brought back this growig kit for peppers and chilis back from the UK. The 12 individual seeding pots were very flat. I poured some warm water over them and they miraculously grew. 3 different kind of peppers (chayenne, worldeater and barancio).



The two kits are now placed on the radiator in the living room that I don't use. Hopefully it doesn't take long before the green spouts appear!

I also wanted to have some fresh basil, which I adore. Apparently the basil seeds need to germ not in soild but only covered with foil (light induced germination).



Some more pictures in a couple of weeks when the first green bits will show.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen